Saturday, December 22, 2007

I can bearly believe it...

It's about 8:30 Saturday night and we're just pulling into our driveway on our way home. I'm talking on the cell phone and I hear Devin say "is that a bear?"

Huh?

"I think that's a bear"

That's not something I expect to hear considering where we live in Spotsylvania County, VA. I would think the odds of seeing a BARE someone in our yard is considerably higher.

A quick glance to the right and there is a black blob that isn't normally there. I back the truck up, throw the lights in that direction and, sure enough, THERE'S A BLACK BEAR IN OUR YARD!

Pretty cool. He stands up on his back legs and looks as though he's considering climbing the tree. He places both paws on the tree and looks at us ("you know what -- he's a pretty good sized fella") and then decides he'll just mosey off into the woods.

Not wanting to cause too much a stir (for us OR the bear), but wanting to let the local experts know what we've seen just in case they need/should know, I make a few phone calls. What we discover is that it's just been too doggone warm for the bears to den up for the winter.

Maybe we'll get to see the bear again before Old Man Winter tell's him (or her) that's it's time for a long winter's nap.

2 comments:

Trey said...

Too bad it didn't hang around. You could be having bear meat for Christmas!!!!

Caroline said...

We just got back from PA and there fwas a guy who has three bears that come up to his back yard for snacks. Well.... if you feed them...my mom always said...
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
Hey, I don't need to go back to work till the 7th. wanna get coffee with Diane.
Caroline